[Nagios-users] Service dependency for nrpe on nagios 3.2.3

Davide Blasi davide.blasi at infracom.it
Thu Oct 21 15:10:41 UTC 2010

Hi list,

I'm installing a large infrastructure using nagios 3.2.3.
My goal will be to create a service dependency of all services checked via nrpe (like check disk) dependent of nrpe on same host without having to define one service dependency for each host.

I found ( by google ) this fantastic link where there is a great patch but it is for nagios 3.0.6 and xdata/xodtemplate.c was changed and not "patch-able" :
http://markmail.org/message/uuvfhlddnezotudy#query:+page:1+mid:v6jqqb4njbinj4ta+state:results

After reading http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html#servicedependency :
   "If you want to create service dependencies for multiple services that are dependent on services on the same host, leave the dependent_host_name and 	dependent_hostgroup_name directives empty."

I tried to write this configuration  :

define servicedependency{
       hostgroup_name                  backoffice
       service_description             NRPE
       dependent_service_description   DISK
       execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
       notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
       }

but if one NRPE of any host in host group go down every disk of every host in host group will not be checked

Do you have any suggestion to help me ?

Thank you in advance
Dave