[Nagios-users] NAGIOS_ environment variables in a notification script

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Thu Dec 23 02:36:39 UTC 2010

On 12/22/10 6:17 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
> Despite having set enable_environment_macros=1 in my nagios.cfg, the
> notification script only sees NAGIOS_PLUGIN=/path/bin/notify.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I'm using Nagios 3.0.6 from Debian lenny. Any hints will be appreciated.
enable_environment_macros should override use_large_installation_tweaks,
which is what can also disable environment macros.  Perhaps your version
is not acting as suspected?  See if you have u_l_i_t enabled, and if so,
try disabling it.

If that isn't it, try setting debug_level=2 (and debug_file, etc).
Restart and check the debug output to see if it's actually seeing the
config directive.  Perhaps you have a typo.

Then maybe set debug_level=32 and run a few notification tests (or just
set it to 34 initially so you get notification and configuration
debugging)...

Also, consider upgrading.  Nagios 3.2+ is great.

--
Mike Lindsey