[Nagios-users] Nagios kept from restarting after reboot by lock file

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Tue Dec 21 06:37:48 UTC 2010

On 12/20/10 8:16 AM, eric.berg at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> Alternatively, could you recommend a good system/resource monitoring tool that would be able to let me know if nagios is down and restart it automatically?

Add a cronjob on a five (or whatever you're comfortable with) minute
interval, similar to:
#!/bin/bash

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
PID=`cat /home/nagios/nagios/var/nagios.lock`
PIDTEST=`kill -0 ${PID} 2>&1 >/dev/null`

if [ "${PIDTEST}" -eq "1" ]
then
     rm /home/nagios/nagios/var/nagios.lock
     # INSERT RESTART COMMAND HERE
     echo "Killed Lockfile and restarted Nagios" | mail -s "Nagios
restart `hostname`" your-email at here.com
fi

Just be aware that it'll also trigger that if block, if nagios is
running under a different username.  You can check for that by doing
some tests in the script with ps and grep.

Sounds like something in the shutdown process is throwing a 0 into the
pid file, or the startup in the rc script is.

Either way, you should never have a 0 in there, either the rc script is
putting the wrong data in there, or it's reporting incorrectly.

--
Mike Lindsey