[Nagios-users] Problem with hostgroup members definition

Forrest Aldrich forrie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 21:41:06 UTC 2010

I have a new Nagios 3 installation where I am trying to include several
hosts in a hostgroup definition (to be efficient).

The error I'm getting (from the pre-flight check):

Error: Could not expand members specified in hostgroup ...

At first, I was referring to hosts by their "alias" which is defined in
the host definition, but it appears I cannot..   Next, I thought the
line was too long.   There are a total of 27 hosts.

I want use a hostgroup definition and bind a check-host-alive to that
group -- seems pretty efficient.  Is there a better way to accomplish this.

I had another person double check my work and we compared it to another
known-working config, where I believe aliases were being used.

No special configuration was done, I just used the example configs and
commented out a bunch of stuff or just defined my own objects.

At the moment, I have several hosts that belong to a production group:

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name prod-servers ; The name of the hostgroup
         alias          Production Servers ; Long name of the group
        members         host1,host2, ... (omitted here for brevity)
        }

We have 2 or 3 groups of servers that we want to configure for simple
check-host-alive work, for some development integration with Nagios - it
doesn't have to be sophisticated at the moment.   The "production" group
is the largest.

I redacted the changes and put a FQHN (1) in there and it seemed to
work.  Is there a better way to associate multiple hosts with a hostgroup?

Any pointers would be appreciated.