[Nagios-devel] Nagios and PNP Perfomance Issue

Rodney Ramos rodneyra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:47:39 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

I´m using Nagios (3.2.0) to monitoring and colect perfomance data of 25.000
hosts, with 50.000 services.

I have two central machines (one for backup) and 10 distributed servers to
colect status and send them to the central servers.

It´s working but I´m having serious performance problems.

First the Tactical Overview on the central machines is taking almost 1
minute to refresh. I think that its because the status.dat file is too big
(almost 100 MB).

Second, the adddon PNP 0.4.14 is taking a long time to process the
performance data files. These files are increasing faster than the capaciy
of process_perfdata.pl script to process them.

I´ve already implement all the recommendation to improve Nagios performance.
Besides, I´ve already changed the npcd.cfg and process_perfdata.cfg
parameters to improve the npcd and process_perfdata.pl performance.

I tried to set "npcd_max_threads" in the npcd.cfg to 10, but than I started
to lose data, because process_perfdata.pl finished itself by timeout, that I
change to 300 seconds.

Can anyone help me to improve the performance of Nagios and PNP to this
enviroment?

P.S.: All my Nagios servers are virtual machines with Red Hat. The central
servers have 2 CPUs and 2 GB of memory. The colectors have 1 CPU and 1 GB of
RAM. Do you think that change the central servers to physical machine I will
have a big performance improvement? How much?

I think that this is a good test for Nagios. I have a demand to put 100.000
hosts with 200.000 services in this enviroment!!!!. Is it possible? Has
someone a Nagios configuration so big?

Thanks everybody.
Rodney.