[Nagios-devel] Subservice Definations

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Dec 12 17:11:06 UTC 2003

In message <07b801c3bb42$33585b10$fb00a8c0 at office.toastedmedia.net>,
"Sam Stickland" writes:
>SNMP traps are submitted as passive service checks. All the examples show
>the a single service defination for the traps - this has the unfortunate
>effect of the next SNMP trap overwriting the previous. I'd like to have
>different services definations for different SNMP traps on our networking
>equipment, but that would result in a LOT of service definations.
>It would be nice if there was a sub-service id that could be submitted with
>passive checks, that effectively divides a single service into multiple
>services on demand, without the need for 1000's of service definations.
>Is there a solution to this that I've missed, or is it going to require
>changes to Nagios? I'm a fair programmer so I'm happy to make these changes
>myself, but others might not consider this a good solution to this problem.

Actually I had come to the same conclusion. Having page after page
after page of services to navigate through (not to mention set up)
when the majority of them are OK is a pain. My planned implementation
was to take passive services of the form service::subservice and
display them only if they were in a non-ok state.

The base service would have to be defined (e.g. snmp) in order for the
dynamic subservices to be displayed. The base service would act as a
template for the dynamic services as far as notification, max_retries
etc. If needed, you could define the service with the :: if you needed
different settings.

This service::subservice also opens the possibility of "rolling up"
the subservice states into an overall service state.

One difference is that I had considered it for both the passive and
active polling case as I could have temperature, temperature::disk1,
temperature::disk2, temperature::motherboard items that wouldn't
overwrite each other. The only difference from the normal services is
that :: services wouldn't be displayed unless they were non-ok or

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard